flammable liquids in the home can cause fire

It would be no surprise to find things like nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, or cooking sprays behind some of the cabinets in your house, right? Would it surprise you to learn that those simple household liquids could cause a dangerous house fire? Unfortunately, it’s true, and the experts at Triage Restoration will explain why this is the case. Triage Restoration is a fire damage remediation company serving homeowners in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. We take fast action to save homes, properties and businesses whenever disaster strikes.

The Most Common Flammable Liquids Lurking in Your Home

According to the National Fire Protection Association, combustible liquids are the cause of over 43,000 house fires every year. Here’s a list of flammable liquids you should always watch out for:

  • Aerosol Cans – Aerosol spray cans use propellants. Next time you use your favorite hair products, take a look around the room and make sure you’re not near any candles or open flames.
  • Rubbing alcohol – This flammable liquid vaporizes quickly. Many house fires ignited by rubbing alcohol on fabric to get rid of bedbugs. We recommend avoiding using this method of bedbug removal.
  • Gasoline, Paint Thinners, Turpentine – Gasoline is the cause of over 8,000 house fires each year. Gasoline stored in a glass container with a metal lid, can fall, break and cause a spark, igniting the gas. Store paint thinners and turpentine in tightly sealed containers away from heat sources.
  • Nail Polish Remover – The acetone in nail polish remover is extremely flammable. Avoid fires when using it. When you are done be sure to replace the cap immediately afterward as an extra precaution.

Other flammable liquids include lighter fluid, linseed oil, and pine oil. If you happen to spill any of the liquids listed above, make sure you open a window immediately and avoid using fans or other electrical equipment that could cause a spark.

Don’t Do Fire Damage Cleanup Alone: Call on Triage Restoration!

If you’ve experienced a devastating house fire, the first thing you should do is call a reliable Philadelphia fire damage remediation company that can clean and restore your home as quickly as possible. The fire damage experts at Triage Restoration are all certified technicians who can create effective plans to make sure your home gets properly “triaged.” Remember: Our number is 215-399-9590!