The safest and most effective way to remove mold and smoke damage is to hire a professional. Nevertheless, sometimes there’s just a small spot in your kitchen or bathroom that you can’t help but want to tackle yourself. There are a few things you should know before taking on the project, so Triage Restoration will explain how to safely remove minor mold and smoke problems.
Triage Restoration is a greater Philadelphia area mold and smoke damage restoration company that’s been serving the Philadelphia area since 2009. We are a reliable group of expert technicians who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
How We Suggest to Remove Mold
- Only work with a few square feet of surface mold – First of all, only try and tackle the problem yourself if the area is small. If you see the mold’s expanded more than a few square feet, or is under your carpets or within your walls, you should call the pros from a reliable mold damage removal company in Philadelphia. Disturbing large areas of mold if you aren’t a professional can make the problem worse.
- Dress appropriately – Some types of mold are extremely toxic. Wear gloves, goggles and a mask over your nose and mouth so you don’t breath in the dangerous spores. Also wear old clothes that you can throw away afterwards.
- Make sure the room is well-ventilated – Open windows or use a fan to keep the air moving.
- Use a proper cleaning solution – For surface mold such as on your bathtub use 1/2 cup bleach, 1 quart of water and a little ammonia-free detergent and scrub away. NEVER combine ammonia with bleach; this can creates a poisonous gas.
How We Suggest to Remove Smoke Damage
- Only work in a small area – If you want to remove large amounts of smoke from a significant house fire, you really need to call in a professional. Trying it on your own can damage the structure even more.
- Use a proper cleaning solution – For a small area, a gallon of warm water, 1/2 cup of ammonia, ¼ cup of vinegar, and ¼ cup of washing soda is a good at-home cleaning solution.
- Remove odors – Smoke often comes with a smelly odor. Air out your house by opening windows and using natural cleaners and odor-removing products. You may also want to professionally clean your carpets and curtains.
Trust the Greater Philadelphia Area’s Mold & Smoke Removal Specialists
If you have any uncertainties about what to do with your mold or smoke problem, be sure to call your go-to smoke and mold damage removal team right away! Removing mold or smoke incorrectly can cause health issues or can further damage your home, so contact us today at 215-399-9590 and trust the team at Triage Restoration to get your space back to pre-loss condition.