The safest and most effective way to remove mold and smoke damage is to hire a professional. Nevertheless, sometimes there’s just a small spot in your kitchen or bathroom that you can’t help but want to tackle yourself. There are a few things you should know before taking on the project, so Triage Restoration will explain how to safely remove minor mold and smoke problems.
Triage Restoration is a Philadelphia mold and smoke damage restoration company that’s been serving the Philadelphia area since 2009. We are a reliable group of expert technicians who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Here are a few safety tips from your trusted Philadelphia smoke and mold damage removal team if you want to try to remove mold or smoke from your home:
- Only work with a few square feet of surface mold – First of all, only try and tackle the problem yourself if the area is small. If you see the mold’s expanded more than a few square feet, or is under your carpets or within your walls, you should call the pros from a reliable mold damage removal company in Philadelphia. Disturbing large areas of mold if you aren’t a professional can make the problem worse.
- Dress appropriately – Some types of mold are extremely toxic. Wear gloves, goggles and a mask over your nose and mouth so you don’t breath in the dangerous spores. Also wear old clothes that you can throw away afterwards.
- Make sure the room is well-ventilated – Open windows or use a fan to keep the air moving.
- Use a proper cleaning solution – For surface mold such as on your bathtub use 1/2 cup bleach, 1 quart of water and a little ammonia-free detergent and scrub away. NEVER combine ammonia with bleach; this can creates a poisonous gas.
- Only work in a small area – If you want to remove large amounts of smoke from a significant house fire, you really need to call in a professional. Trying it on your own can damage the structure even more.
- Use a proper cleaning solution – For a small area, a gallon of warm water, 1/2 cup of ammonia, ¼ cup of vinegar, and ¼ cup of washing soda is a good at-home cleaning solution.
- Remove odors – Smoke often comes with a smelly odor. Air out your house by opening windows and using natural cleaners and odor-removing products. You may also want to professionally clean your carpets and curtains.
Call This Philadelphia Mold and Smoke Damage Restoration Team Today
If you have any uncertainties about what to do with your mold or smoke problem, be sure to call your go-to smoke and mold damage removal team right away! Removing mold or smoke incorrectly can cause health issues or can further damage your home, so contact us today at 215-399-9590 and let Triage Restoration take care of the problem.