During the winter you might feel like you are freezing. But did you know your pipes actually can freeze? And that’s not all. As the water in a frozen pipe expands, the pipe may burst, requiring substantial water damage cleanup in Philadelphia homes.
Triage Restoration, provider of top-notch Philadelphia water damage cleanup services, has plenty of experience with frozen pipes. Here are some of our tips for keeping your pipes in good working order during the winter months:
Five Ways to Avoid Water Damage from Frozen Pipes
- It’s tempting to turn off the heat entirely when you leave your home. Seems like a great way to save on utility bills, right? But you may end up paying double that in water damage cleanup for your Philadelphia home if your pipes freeze and burst. According to the American Red Cross, you should maintain at indoor temperature of at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit at all times to ensure your pipes do not freeze.
- Insulate your pipes with foam sleeves to keep them nice and toasty. In particular, be sure to insulate pipes located in unheated areas of your home like garages and attics. If you can’t obtain special insulating materials, newspaper is an acceptable substitute.
- When it’s particularly cold out, turn on your faucets and let some water drip out. Flowing water is less vulnerable to freezing than stagnant water sitting in a cold pipe. You should especially aim to have water flow through pipes you know are exposed to the elements.
- Open up the doors to cabinets that contain pipes, such as under the kitchen sink. Exposing these pipes to warm air is a low-effort way to protect your pipes.
- If you suspect a pipe may be frozen—turning on a faucet only have no water or limited water come out is a major sign—proceed with caution. Leave the faucet running to encourage movement of water through the pipes. If the frozen section of the pipe is accessible, you can thaw it out by applying heat with a hair dryer, a space heater, or towels soaked in hot water.
Philadelphia Water Damage Cleanup with Triage Restoration
If you follow the advice above, you should avoid water damage from burst pipes in your home this winter. But if you do need water damage remediation services, Triage Restoration is the company to call. Our experienced and certified technicians will ensure your home is cleaned up safely and efficiently.
Want to book an appointment, or just learn more about our services? Contact us at 215-399-9590, or via our website.