Your plumbing system is like the veins and arteries of your home, transporting water and waste to and from the property. And like arteries, if something goes wrong with your plumbing, you’re in for a whole world of trouble. In fact, one of the biggest reasons homeowners need Philadelphia water damage cleanup is because of backed-up sinks, leaky pipes, and other plumbing mishaps. Here are some tips from Triage Restoration about how to maintain your plumbing system and stop water damage in its tracks.
Clog in the Machine
- Prevent clogs by being careful about what you put down your pipes. Clogs can cause sink backups, resulting in water damage. Even worse? A clogged pipe may build up pressure and bust. And when that happens, you’ll have a major problem on your hands.
- How do you prevent clogs? Flushed feminine hygiene products and paper towels are notorious culprits for toilet clogs. In the kitchen, moderate how much you food waste you deposit in the garbage disposal at one time. Likewise, never pour grease down your sink, even if you have a garbage disposal or “chase” the grease with hot water. The grease will harden and become a major clog in your drain.
- Be careful with drain cleaning chemicals such as Drano. Sure, they may eliminate clogs, but these harsh substances also can eat away at your pipes. As those pipes corrode, you can expect serious leaks. Instead, clear out clogged drains with a drain snake. They’re inexpensive, reusable, and won’t damage your pipes.
Winter is Coming
- The winter months present special challenges for plumbing. Frozen pipes are liable to burst as the frozen water inside expands. That’s why it’s crucial to keep your pipes nice and toasty.
- When you’re out of the house on chilly days, leave the heat on. It may feel like a wasteful addition to your utility bills, but you’ll be thankful when you don’t have to clean up water damage from a busted pipe. A household temperature of 55 degrees Fahrenheit or higher should do the trick.
Triage Restoration: Philadelphia Water Damage Cleanup You Can Trust
Triage Restoration performs high-quality water damage cleanup in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. Our services include IICRC S500 standard, emergency water extraction, flood cleanup, sewage cleanup, drying and dehumidification, professional deodorization, and anti-microbial application.
Interested in hiring us for your Philadelphia water damage cleanup needs? You can reach us at 215-399-9590 or online via our website.