Next time you crank the oven for that midweek pot roast, take extra precautions! Cooking and unsupervised kitchen appliances are the leading contributors of house fires. Many times, a simple mistake can be the cause of major consequences. About 40% of home structure fires start in the kitchen area; this many not surprise you, seeing as many of us spend nearly every night over the stove preparing a hot meal! With that in mind, it’s important to know how to avoid this disaster in your own home.
Triage Restoration is a fire damage remediation company in Philadelphia that specializes in restoring homes, properties, and business that have been hit by a disaster in forms of water, mold, fire, or biohazards. To help you dodge a potential kitchen fire, we’ve compiled a list of ten mistakes not to make while cooking:
- Never leave a hot oven (or other cookware) unattended! Whether you’re grilling, broiling, or frying, turn off the appliance if you need to leave the kitchen–even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Make sure there’s a working smoke alarm in or near your kitchen. Check the batteries regularly–it’s useless otherwise!
- Make it a habit to check the kitchen before bed or before leaving the house to check that the stove and oven are turned off.
- Avoid grease buildup by regularly cleaning your stove and other kitchen appliances. A little oil or animal fat is quite flammable and can start a fire very quickly.
- Keep anything that can catch fire well away from the stove. That means oven mitts, paper or plastic, pot holders, and wooden spoons.
- Roll up those sleeves! Loose or dangling clothing can easily catch fire while you’re prepping a meal.
- Always have a timer going so you don’t forget about cooking food.
- Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher if you are nervous about a kitchen fire. Your local fire department can help train you how to use it.
- Keep children at least three feet away from the stove. Children can easily grab pot handles and knock hot items over. The areas nearest the stove and oven should be kid-free zones.
- Check on cooking food continuously, even if something is going to be cooking for hours.
Team Up with Philadelphia’s #1 Fire Damage Cleanup Company
At Triage Restoration, the safety of you and your home is important to us. If you’ve faced some sort of catastrophe in your home, this Philadelphia fire damage remediation company will be there to restore your peace of mind as quickly as possible. Contact us today by calling 215-399-9590 and learn more about the many services we can offer you!